Monday 2 January 2017

OUGD601 - 'Anti-design' Magazines

One of the sections in my dissertation focuses on the notion of 'Anti-aesthetics', under both Modernism, Postmodernism and the contemporary moment. It explores the idea that an anti-aesthetic is actually the driving force behind authentic progression in visual culture. 

I needed to find some good examples of anti-aesthetics in recent and current visual culture. I was already aware of 'Super Super' and '032c' but I needed more.I stumbled upon an interesting article on the amazing website 'Eye on Design', which opened up my eyes to the recent trend in editorial design which involves the deliberate inclusion of 'anti-design' aesthetics. 

For me, these magazines are significant because of the way they are executed. They celebrate bad taste in irreverently tasteful ways. They symbolise a mass defiance against the recent obsession with hyper-slick, minimal, clean aesthetics in editorial design. They are fundamentally anti-aesthetic because they are non-conformist and speak directly to audiences who are specifically interested in challenging conventions of design. 








https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/the-new-wave-of-anti-design-magazines-will-question-your-sense-of-taste-and-thats-a-good-thing/









No comments:

Post a Comment