Saturday 23 April 2016

OUGD501 - Practical Work Concept/Proposal

 After much brainstorming and idea generation, I came to a decision in terms of an area of practical investigation for COP2. I initially struggled to think of an effective way of synthesising a body of practical exploration with the very abstract and deep topics explored in my written response. I finally came up with the concept of designing exhibition branding for a fictional show which would be centred around a completely new, radical, avant-garde manifesto. The fictional manifesto would exist theoretically to alleviate the stagnancy currently being experience in contemporary visual culture. 

I thought that this was an excellent way of creating synergy between the very confident conclusion that I came to in my essay. I basically concluded that we have arrived at a direction-less,stagnant state in visual culture due to many influencing factors. I examined the extent to which we have arrived at a hyper-reality or a mass simulacrum of signs and symbols. I concluded that to some extent, I believe that we have arrived at a state of simulacra, especially within non-commercial visual communication, namely graphic design/art and illustration. I ended the essay with:

'Baudrillard and Jameson both agree that the utilisation of devices such as imitation, duplication and pastiche contribute to the implosion of meaning, the loss of referentials, and ultimately the manifestation of hyperreality. For hundreds of years, new visual styles have infiltrated the collective consciousness of the creative industries through aesthetic upheavals lead by radical creative thinkers and makers. In order to progress from the place that it currently resides, visual culture must experience a rebirth to prevent itself from becoming its own total simulacrum, devoid of definitive style and originality.'



 I commented that we must experience some sort of breakthrough and re-birth in order to save ourselves from the state that we have gotten ourselves into. Initially, I couldn't really think of a way of answering that question through practical investigation. I thought long and hard about it, and through doing some research into art manifestos written in the 20th century, I arrived at the concept of creating my own movement/manifesto titled 'Neuism' that will potentially question contemporary visual culture with ultimate aims of alleviating us from the current stagnancy, propelling us forward into a truly original and authentic future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment