Thursday 17 November 2016

OUGD601 - Dissertation Research - Ben DuVall

I have been aware of Ben DuVall for some time now, but it wasn't until I began to undertake research for COP3 that I realised the significance of his work. His work explores issues of contemporary design practice and its surrounding visual culture. To me, his work is critical in the sense it probes us to think about contemporary design culture in a way that is not too overwhelmingly difficult to understand.

I decided to purchase a copy of his book 'New Modernisms', as it looks as if it will provide me with some excellent current commentary/insight on issues that I am exploring in my dissertation. I am currently waiting for it to be delivered but I am very much looking forward to delving into it. 




Ben's portfolio website is significant to me. At the top left hand corner of the page, there is a drop down menu with several options. You have Era/State, Political/Economic, Motivation/Medium, Index/Info. His work is movable, and you can 'sort' it into the various categories provided on the drop down menu. I find this feature highly intelligent and also irreverent, qualities I associate with critical design practice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment