Thursday 1 December 2016

OUGD601 - Practical Work - Conceptualisation

Today I came up with a really strong concept for my COP practical project, which I am really excited about and look forward to developing.

In the conclusion of my essay, I will be commenting on the current condition of graphic design and the state that I believe it to be in based on my research.

Personally, I find the current state of graphic design to be quite stagnant and self referential. Trends appear to be dominated by pastiche and insular preferences and are celebrated within graphic design circles, rather than wider audiences who are perhaps not as engaged with contemporary visual culture.

I feel like this condition will only be left behind once something radically new comes along. Cultural and technological shifts have been the driving forces behind changes in the field in the past, spurring on the emergence of trends such as modernism and postmodernism. Today, technology advances on a daily basis, and graphic design seems to have become jaded by this, adopting an almost sceptical stance towards its own devices and tools used to develop its practice.

So, I have come up with a concept to 'cure' people 'suffering' from the contemporary condition with fictional medications. The practical element will require me to conceptualise various ailment and the suitable medications for the issues. I will design the packaging and 'branding' for the fictional medicines and potentially some promotional material.

No comments:

Post a Comment