Wednesday 12 October 2016

OUGD601 - Re-assessing of Proposal

Following the feedback on my initial dissertation proposal, I decided to alter my research topic and change direction. The feedback made me realise that I didn't actually want to examine the 'slow movement' specifically, and I am glad that I realised it then rather than at a later point.


My concerns have shifted and I am confident in this change. I am now going to extend my investigation of topics/themes and research undertaken in my previous two COP modules. In my previous essays, I examined the impact postmodern theory and ideology has had on contemporary graphic design practice as well as the impact technology is having on contemporary visual culture, exploring themes of pastiche, parody, simulacra and hyper-realities, ultimately aiming to come to a conclusion about the impact that it has all had on contemporary graphic design practice/culture. 

Last year, I explored the concepts of simulacrum and hyper-reality within visual communication in a broad sense. In COP3, I could possibly to look closer at the relationship between technologies and simulacra, examining the ongoing influence that they both are having on graphic design practice and wider visual culture, ultimately seeing if this influence is leading us to state of visual utopia or dystopia? 

Alternatively, I also am very keen to investigate the emergence of deconstructivist theory and its relation/relevance to contemporary graphic design practice. I am intrigued by labelling of styles/movements within the arts, particularly in relation modernism and postmodernism and attempting to define the time we are experiencing currently in visual culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment