Monday 2 November 2015

OUGD501 - Study Task 04 - Practical Investigation Requirement

This week you are being asked to consider what the requirements are for your practical investigation. Consider the following aspects of practice/research in relation to your chosen theme/question:

Theme / Content:
TECHNIQUE - digitally designing a range of promotional materials for a fictional exhibition. These can then be translated into printed collateral or further digital platforms

CONTENT - The content will need to promote and advertise the exhibition. The copy and its tone of voice will be fundamental to its success 

COMMUNICATION - I am going to use typography as the main form of communication for the exhibition branding, because I want to create a clean, functional aesthetic which has an element of ambiguity to it. 

Methods:
RESEARCH / ANALYSIS - I will do primary research into exisiting exhibition branding in the UK through visiting shows and gathering physically printed collateral to gain inspiation from

EXPLORATION / EVALUATION - I will use my research to generate my designs and then ask for formal and informal feedback on them. This will allow me to adapt the designs to suit the feedback to make sure they are effective as they can be

TESTING - printing out the designs and asking people to evaluate their effectiveness as pieces of promotional material


1.What is your research question?
To what extent has a simulacrum been reached in contemporary visual culture? My practical work will be complex. The exhibition will contain a manifesto which serves to question the current state that visual culture has arrived at. The work in the exhibition will follow the manifesto and aim to depart from current trends, attitudes and aesthetics. My actual practical design work will be the branding for this fictional exhibition which is underpinned by a written manifesto that I will devise. 

2.Do you have a hypothesis (an assumed conclusion that you will endeavour to prove)?

Not especially. I just want my branding/identity to be effective visually and to make an impact. I want it to be witty and highly conceptual, so I guess that is what I am aiming to prove.

3.What are the contexts of your research interests?

I really enjoy branding and identity, and this is an area of graphic design that I want to work in one day, that is why I have chosen to go down this route for the practical investigation. The context is that I am aiming to create a new movement within visual culture that can pose as a solution/cure to the stagnancy that we are currently experiencing. The branding will fall in line perfectly with this new envisioned aesthetic.

4.Sources of primary/secondary research.

Exisiting and past exhibition branding for major galleries across the world

5.How will your practical work relate to your written work (synthesis)?

My practical work will aim to make a comment on the state that I personally feel we are experiencing. You could say that my practical work will attempt to answer the issues highlighted in the essay, particularly providing a solution to the quite bold conclusion that I going to arrive at. 


It will critically analyse and comment on our contemporary visual culture through the eyes of a contemporary, practising designer. My practical work will act as a proposal, a theoretical cure to this stagnancy. At the centre of the exhibition is the Neuism manifesto. The manifesto will be inspired by radical, avant-garde manifestos written for key art movements from the 20th century. The fictional exhibition would feature examples of work which would be describes as neuisms. A neuism is a piece of visual work which follows four fundamental pillars which are underpinned by key modernist and post-modernist principles. The branding itself should reflect the nature of a manifesto, whilst portraying conceptual aesthetics. The branding will take in inspiration from branding that surrounds me currently, but it will also try to establish its own, quite neutral aesthetic. 

6.What methods will you use to research, develop, create and test your work?

Mainly digital, because I want to keep everything fresh. My manifesto will also promote the use of digital tools and methods, because it believe that this is future for visual communication.

7.Provide a proposed timeline for your work to completion (consider carefully whether you will need access to college facilities).

I aim to have my practical work finished by early April, therefore I can leave time for feedback to make any adjustments in the run up to the submission of the module. I am undecided at this point whether or not I will be printing off any of the work. I may just mock things up and present it in a formal pitch like presentation, this would fit well within the context of exhibition branding.


No comments:

Post a Comment